How do Meal Replacement Shakes work? Meal replacement shakes are not meant to replace all your meals completely. The focus is keeping the calories you take lower than what you would have consumed in a typical meal. The point here is to help you feel full and wait until the next meal while only taking a few calories. This is achieved through careful selection of ingredients so that they include more proteins and fiber to block hunger as well as vitamins and minerals to help maintain a healthier body.
Selecting the best meal replacement shakes
The best meal replacement shakes should be made from the right ingredients to help in blocking hunger for a longer period. Here are important indicators of a great meal replacement shake:
- Has high protein content: An ideal shake should have about 15 grams of proteins per serving. Good examples include pea proteins and whey protein that have amino acids that help build muscles, slow down the release of calories, and enhance cells regeneration.
- High fiber content: Fibers have been demonstrated to help block hunger and promote better gut health.
- Low sugar and carb: A meal replacement shake with low carbs and sugar will encourage the body to burn stored fat for extra energy supply.
- Does not contain artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colorings: If a shake contains artificial sweeteners it raises the risk of blood sugar spikes and insulin resistance. Besides, it should not contain artificial colors and flavorings because they introduce toxins and radicals that can cause problems like cancer.
- Other ingredients to check when selecting the best meal replacement shake include probiotics and omega-3 fats.
Meal replacement shakes and blocking hunger
The best meal replacement shake should be capable of blocking hunger for more hours. Manufacturers target helping users to stay away from unhealthy snacks in between the main meals. Some of the best meal replacement shakes can help you feel full for up to 4 hours. You can, therefore, be sure of staying from breakfast to lunch or lunch to supper without feeling hungry.
How long should you take meal replacement shakes?
When people turn to meal replacement shakes, one objective is cutting on weight. The secret in these shakes is helping you take fewer calories and lose more. Note that the target is not to deny you the good things, but ensuring that you meet the targeted weight reduction levels and stay healthy. The ideal weight loss should be 1-2 pounds per week. However, some people might want to lose weight faster, which is okay.
After reaching the target weight, many people want to continue using the shakes for better health. You can continue using them as long as the body is supplied with all the necessary nutrients to keep it healthy and calories to provide enough energy.
Combining meal replacement shakes with exercises
Exercise should be a part and parcel of your lifestyle whether you are using meal replacement shakes or not. When you combine meal replacement shakes with exercises, you will cut weight and build on lean muscles faster. Remember that when using meal replacement shakes and exercise, an additional serving is required after a workout session to help rebuild worn-out muscle cells. Besides, the number of hours that you can block hunger using shakes when doing exercises is lower because the body requires more calories.